Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Star Blanket pattern illustrated

This is one of the first few projects I learned. I've made so many of them over the years. They make really nice rugs and throw blankets.


Materials:
-At least 42 oz. of worsted weight yarn.
-K hook or larger.
Gauge isn't important for this project.







Chain 6.


Join with a sl st to make a ring.


Ch 3. (This counts as the first double crochet here and throughout.)



dc 15 into ring. (16 dc total)



Join with a sl st to the top of beginning ch 3.


Ch 3.


dc into next dc. If you want a textured look to your blanket, I'd suggest going in only the back loops from here on out.


ch 4.


dc in next 2 dc, ch4. Repeat around. You should end up with 8 pairs of dc and 8 ch 4 spaces.


Join with a sl st to top of ch 3.




sl st your way to the first ch 4 space.


Ch 3


2 more dc in same ch 4 space. ch 3, 3 dc in same ch 4 space. Skip to next ch 4 space. [3dc, ch 3, 3dc] all in same ch 4 space. Repeat around.


Join with a sl st to top of beginning ch 3. (48 dc and 8 ch 3 spaces total.)


Sl st your way over to the first ch 3 space. Ch 3, dc, ch2, 2 dc all in same ch 3 space.


Again, if you want the textured look, at this step, work in back loops only. *Dc in next 2 dc. Skip 2 dc. Dc in next 2 dc. This should put you at the next ch 2 space. 2dc, ch 2, 2 dc all in the same ch 2 space. * Repeat from * to * around.


Join to top of beginning ch 3.


The last round is what you work for the rest of the blanket.
-sl st your way to the corner
-ch 3
-work 2dc, ch 2, dc in every chain two space
-work a dc in every dc, skipping the middle two dc. It should increase by one on each side of the middle with every row. You should always have 8 ch 2 spaces, and your total dc should be some multiple of 8.


Here are some photos of some that I've finished. Please email me pictures (isisfordylan@gmail.com) of any that you guys make. I'll post them!





2 comments:

  1. I think this is great. Now you need to post some like this of patterns I don't know so that I can learn something new. I am going to pass this posts link on to Charlotte too - she always needs my help getting started with the star and I think this would really help her. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is AWESOME, because I have seen this pattern before and wanted to make it, but couldn't make heads or tails of it. Your pictures are perfect. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete