Friday, April 23, 2010

Fanatic Fridays

I'm having trouble picking something for this week's FF. I really want to do a showcase of Debbie Stoller's work. I also really, really want to rave about Ravelry. Methinks the only way to remedy this is to make a separate day of entries for websites I love. Maybe Sunday showcase?

At any rate, this entry is about Debbie Stoller and her greatness. She's the author of Stitch 'N' Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker. This book is beyond amazing. A friend of mine has recently picked up crocheting. I tried, in vain, to teach her to make a granny square. (Not her fault, my teaching skills were to blame). She borrowed this book and taught herself 3 stitches by the end of the night. The first third of the book is a very in-depth look at crochet. The pictures and instructions are not only fun to look at/read, they make it so easy to teach yourself to crochet. I've heard the same can be said about her knitting books too. I believe it.

The last 2/3 of the book is full of a variety of patterns for clothing, purses, scarves, toys, etc. There are patterns for beginners as well as more advanced crocheters.

I can't say enough about her. She's even broken into making affordable, all natural yarn. There are some free crochet patterns on that site. My favorite is the All Day Beret, but it's knitted so I won't be able to make it until I get some free time to pick up some needles (And the stitch n bitch knit books!) and teach myself to knit/purl.

1 comment:

  1. I can teach you to knit and pearl and cast on....the basics of knitting anyway. :-)

    ReplyDelete